Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 1995 16:37:03 -0700
From:         amunro@amunro.seanet.com (Alex Munro)
Subject:      I've seen one of those...

Two years ago at the Arlington Air Show in (of all places) Arlington, Washington I parked our bus next to a stretch bus. It was definitely a home job with the following mods:

Middle stretch of course. The bus was made from two buses (a red one and a white one)with overlapping middle sections (if you stand next to a bus you can see vertical seams that go from top to bottom at the front and rear of the slider door. This bus had the two sliders still in place but one of them was bolted shut.

Chevy V8 (small block) with what had to be a Toronado transaxle. The radiator was sitting on the roof sticking straight up.

Camper stuff. All a hack job with a big stove and refer. Sun faded sculptured pile carpeting of various colors finished the look.

Not pretty but damn did it have room inside...

Also a few months before I got a modem I saw two Eurovans that were stretch jobs. Both were identical white and looked like they were panel vans that had black anodized aluminum frame slider windows. The middle sections were about 50 percent longer than a regular one with no torch work evident. They seemed to be pretty plain inside like they were meant for utility duty.

When I first saw them I was driving down I-5 and they were on a flat bed truck, fresh off a boat it looked like (plastic wrap, grease pencil, etc). A month later I saw one driving in my local grocery store parking lot with some people that looked to be of middle eastern origin.

While I have been known to hallucinate, I am quite sure of what I saw. It is definitely longer by quite a ways.