Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:40:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Erik W. Burtis " <eburtis@s850.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Re: engine/starter problem, advice sought:)

You said that the engine turned over, but didn't catch when you tried to start it. If this happened the sarter and soleniod should be fine. If they weren't the engine shouldn't turn over. My guess would be water in the gas. This happened to me. I would be driving along and the motor would lose power, or cut out and catch again. If it died it wouldn't start until a few hrs later when the water settled out of the line. Look for droplets in the fuel filter (if its clear) or through some dry gas in the tank overnight or while your're at work and see what happens. That's what cured it for my. The other guess I would have is rust. On my beetle the fuel tank was so rusty it clogged the strainer in the tank and killed the engine. It would sart the next moring after the rust had fallen of the strainer. I found this out when I disconnected the fuel line from the engine and noticed nothing coming out before I plugged it. I hope this helps. Erik 71 Westy