Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Oct 1995 09:28:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insurance Industry Regulation (L)

> You shouldn't compare auto insurance with gambling. We can >choose to gamble. Auto insurance is mandatory. Gary Gibson

We choose to drive.

I know, life is a lot tougher without driving. But it's still a choice. Alternatives can be developed-- most people in Manhattan don't even own cars, for example. They have heavy doses of buses, subways, etc., which are expensive to build. But the point is, they manage.

Personally I think cars are better (duh!). But cars entail risks, to others as well as to me, and I must take responsibility for the risks I foist on the people around me, by driving my car near theirs. Insurance co's enable me to do that.

BTW, Auto insurance is NOT mandatory in most states, including California. What is mandatory for drivers, is that they demonstrate ability to pay for the potential damage they may do in driving theri cars. They can do it by buying insurance, or by showing they have like $300,000 ready and waiting in assets (bank accounts, bonds, etc.). Most of us can't do that, of course, so this is a minor quibble.

All in all, insurance is mandatory ONLY for those who choose to put others at risk by driving. I have no problem with that.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter