Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:45:39 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Errors on Microfiche (Not having such good luck with Jim Ellis)

I'm trying to find two small parts for my 1985 Vanagon and the microfiche at Jim Ellis VW here doesn't seem to be much help. While bleeding my cooling system last weekend I realized that the bleeder screw was leaking after I tightened it down. I seem to remember at one time there was a washer that went in there that isn't there now. According to the fiche at Ellis, Vanagons after 1983 didn't have bleeder screws on the radiator, and only the diesels had them at all(???!!!) The microfiche showed one model that had some kind of valve that looked like a brake bleeder valve. The fiche that did show a bleeder screw that had a 13mm (for the Diesel) head and I know mine is a 15mm. The parts guy gave me a washer that I know won't fit so I haven't bothered trying. Anyway, I would really like to find a washer, any suggestions?

I also have a broken rear speaker mount, the fiche shows no such speaker mounting on Vanagons.

On the aforementioned heater cable attachement to heater valve, rather than attempt a new cable installation (which looks like a pain) I bought two hold down bolts for bicycle brake cables, the kind with the screw with a hole drilled in them that the brake cable passes through. I'll be trying that on the heater control cable this weekend. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.

On a non-related note. If an Alabama doctor can get 2 million out of BMW for selling him a car that had been repainted because of damage during shipping, don't you think we could get something out of VW for selling thousands of Vanagons with leaking cylinder heads? Mine aren't leaking... yet.

Donald Baxter '85 GL _________________________________________________________ Donald Baxter Atlanta, Georgia 404.874-3292 (home) <dbax@mindspring.com> 404.447.6831 (work) <dab1@jhk.com>

_________________________________________________________ The "frog syndrome": a frog tossed into hot water will try to get out and will most likely live; but a frog placed in cold water that is then gradually heated will stay where it is and will most likely die.