Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:27:10 MST
From:         "Jacob Shaun Dustin" <DUSTINO@caedm.et.byu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Sewfine? CHEAP BRAKE VACCUM CONTROL VALVE ('71 Bus)! Shocks?

First off, my wife got sick of riding on the passenger side seat (did I say seat? I meant slide) in our '71 bus, and she gave me the go- ahead to get some "new" ones. I picked up a nice (all the springs are there) set at the local junkyard, but they badly need new upholstry (that's how I was able to tell that all the springs were there). I'm looking for a quality set of covers. Any suggestions? Sewfine looks good, but can I get them as good for less??????

Second: I don't know if this is a common fix, but.... The in-line control valve on the vaccum line to my brake booster died, and not wanting to wait two weeks for my local VW dealer to find out that they couldn't get it (yes, I'm a little cynical about VW's vaunted customer service), I went to Autozone to see what I could work out with their "Universal" parts rack. I picked up a valve (the kind that's supposed to mount right on a booster) for three bucks. The valve has two different size fittings on it; the booster side fits right on to the stock hose, but the manifold side is way too small. Solution? They gave me a 2" section of the hose to fit the smaller of the two fittings. I put that on the valve, and lo and behod, the smaller hose just fit inside the schtock hose coming off the booster. A hose clamp later, and the job was done. It fits, it works, and I like it.

Third: I need some shocks for the front of my bus (same '71). Anybody know of a cheap solution?

Thanks in advance for the help, suggestions, etc. I've been a hanger on on the list for a while now, and have really enjoyed the association.

Shaun Dustin Dustino@caedm.et.byu.edu "Everyone wants to be on a postage stamp, but nobody wants to die" --?????????