Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 95 22:48:11 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Vans in europe? (Insurance)

On the recent thread on buying or shipping a VW bus to Europe I'd like to add: How do you get it insured (and possibly get the bus registered) over there? The US policy I have now is only good in USA, Canada and Puerto Rico, and I . I recall my own trouble in finding insurance in the US when I came here as a foreigner 3 years ago:

(1) Most insurance agents didn't want to deal with me at all. The ones who did would: (2) Require me to get a NY state license first, even though I'm allowed to drive here on my Swedish license so long I'm a nonresident. (3) Put me in the highest risk pool regardless of prior driving experience (10 years + commercial drivers licence education). (4) Add an "inexperienced operator" surcharge the first 3 years.

Darie, did you have similar a similar problem in Schweiz? Did you drive your bus Canada registered and/or insured in Europe? Did you have any hassle with customs? Had to pay duties? Pass inspections etc?

As for finding good and relatively cheap busses to buy in Europe I'm not as pessimistic as some of you. When I lived in Sweden older busses there could be had at the same prices or cheaper than in the US. Newer ones (around 5 years old) were somewhat more expensive than in the US, and for brand new ones the price is much determined by how much tax you have to pay. As a nonresident (unlike in the US) you might be able to get out of some of the taxes if you can show that you are bringing the vehicle out of the country when you leave.

/Martin