Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Oct 1995 00:22:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      engine is out

It took me all day, but the engine is now in the basement. Used Tom Wilson's trick with the plywood board, but badly misjudged the engine's gravity center and it almost fell backwards. It took a *lot* of strength to hold it back and reposition on the jack.

For future reference, I'll remember to look from *underneath* to check whether all bolts have cleared the bellhousing, before lowering the engine. I *almost* broke them off. :-(

And I also badly underestimated the weight of this baby and even with a friend's help, we could barely lift it. So we just set it on the lawn and that's where I stripped it of all accessories, including the crossbar and the (type 4) fan housing, but not the heater boxes and headers. The friend came back later this evening and helped me carry the somewhat lightened beast onto a table in the basement.

Tomorrow, I'll remove the heat exchangers. Bought a grinder and hope it will let me zap off those old rusty bolts. Then I'll remove the heads and take them to the shop. The cylinder liners are rusty and I intend to give them the Thom Fitzpatrick Special, i.e. sink them in acid to derust them and then paint them with heat resistant black. If anyone thinks the acid bath is a bad idea, please speak up now.

And now for something completely different: yesterday was a warm day and I finally got to wear my new Netvergnuegen T-shirt. It sure got some attention, not just from people in the know ("so not only are you a freak, but also have to advertize it"), but also the doctor, the salesclerk at Sears, the clerk at the Mall's information desk: they all wanted to know what this was about. Two of them thought that the idea of an internet group about VW busses was the funniest thing...

-- Sami ('75 Westf.) dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu http://wuecon.wustl.edu/~samid/