Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:04:51 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      end of oct. camping (CA) (was baja)

One of the jobs of a good pyromaniac is to scout out campsites which are a little bit "removed" from the beaten path. They are less likely to arouse suspicion when one burns engine cases, sends up rocket flairs, performs lawn chair and circuit board melt-downs, etc.

While we discussed earlier on this list to have our campsite at Isabella Lake, our very own resident flame-wrestler, Bradley, pointed out to me that a lake a bit further north might be preferable for this group's "needs." It is still off 99, and in the same general area, but a bit more north; just east of Visalia. It's called Lake Kaweah (we figure it's a good idea to have water nearby, just in case), and is near spots on the map named Lemon Cove, Woodlake, Three Rivers, and so forth. There are only two campsites here, and it looks at least from the AAA map not to be a highly touristed area, so I move we take Prunehead's suggestion and locate our campsite to this location. If we get there and don't like it, it will be easy enough to progress on up the highway (which is 198), further into Sequoia National Park, and find other campspaces higher up. >From Lake Kaweah, there's a vast array of directions we could go and find alternate camping grounds in a relatively short drive.

The favored campground looks to be one on U.S. Army Corps of Engineer's property, AAA campground #664, which has EVERYTHING except riding stables. They DO have showers! Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw.

Anyway, the place is called the Horse Creek Recreation Area, on the SE shore of Lake Kaweah. The phone there is: 209.561.3155. The places is open all year, and charges a humble $10. There's RV spaces galore, but no hookups for AC, etc.

I know that some of you may not be able to arrive on the traditional Friday evening, so we're setting up a phone line with answering machine for you to call before you set out, to make sure you'e going to the right place (in case we get there, don't like it, and change location). This phone machine can have the outgoing message altered remotely, so we'll change it as necessary. Don't lose the number - (ha!)...it's 510.783.1194. It will be set up to give you the information you'll need by Friday, the first day of the campout.

----

Here's some of the people who've responded, indicating they plan to go. If a "?" is by your name, it means you probably will, but are not quite certain. There are several others who are less certain, and several from whom I've not heard. Please let me know as soon as you can, so that we can plan the potluck thing... ----

David Schwarze des.teleport.com Jack Stafford stafford@alcor.hac.com Michael/Diane Wagner mwagner@deltanet.com David Garth dgarth@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu Scott Harvey sharvey@CNS.UCLA.EDU ?Dave Kautz dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com ?Steve/Linda Johnson sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com ?Al Knoll alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com ?Bob Kenyon rrk@rahul.net - not sure ?Al Hubbard Hubbard_Al@mlstrmac.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com