Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 1995 15:35:51 -0700
From:         martino@earthlink.net
Subject:      Engine Overheating @65mph

Hi guys, Since I drive my '71 bus around town exclusively for years I've never noticed any problems.. always ran smooth & cool even in summer. This weekend I drove out to Las Vegas (5hr drive) at night (60degrees) from Los Angeles and I noticed that when I brought the speed up to 65mph and held it there for 30min or so my Gene Berg oil temp light would start to flicker. To get it to go off, I'd have to slow down to 50mph for 15min or so. The funny thing is that the engine felt strong...like it could have gone up to 75mph easy. This is a stock engine, rebuilt with 20,000 miles on it (align bored my old case, machined my old heads with a 3angle cut). My thought is that because it was align bored (the case) that at high speeds the oil preasure drops below acceptable levels and that's what causes the overheating.

Can't you drive a '71 bus at 65mph on the open flats all day?

Martin