Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 95 15:10:14 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Cargo Hauls

My westy frequently has to haul around a variety of heavy and/or bulky stuff. How about:

80 cu ft (20 x 4 cu ft sacks) of compost.

All the insulation for my attic.

20 wall insulation bags + insulation blower.

The heaviest I ever carried was probably when I bought a full set of flat roofing stuff from a roofer on an auction. The van got about half full with the real heavy stuff, (asphalt, glue, roofing felt...) and was topped off to the ceiling line with 4' by 4' high density fiber boards. This was before I started to inflate to 50 psi, and at the drive home I was afraid I was going to wreck the tires. No problem with braking or suspension though.

Contrast this to the american and japanese stationwagons I've used for similar purposes. Typically the suspension would bottom out completely, and braking distanse increase significantly if I filled them up with similar things. This happened even with one I had equipped with HD suspension and towing package.

/Martin