Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 1995 16:55:22 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Syncros and Winter

In a message dated 95-10-15 13:39:10 EDT, msanner@hooked.net (Matthew Sanner) writes:

>Was in a discussion with two friends yesterday. One has a 4x4 and the >other has a Vanagon Syncro. They were debating whether the Syncro >would be a good car in snow ( the snycro has yet to be tested in snow >by my friend). >snip> >The 4x4 argument was that the Syncro wheel base is too long >for the syncro to be effective in fighting slipping and sliding in >the snow, becuase of over compensation at the front end. >snip> >So my question to all you knowledgable Syncrometers - How does the >Syncro handle in Snow/Ice Winter conditions? >Thanks! >Matt

Hey Matt, that's Syncronauts to you! :-)

In my limited experience, (Wintertime in the mountains, skiing, etc.) the Syncro has been excellent in the snow but I haven't encountered much ice. The line about the long wheelbase doesn't seem to make any sense to me, even if the Syncro had a long wheelbase. The Syncro has a relatively short wheelbase, I remember it beeing just about 6" longer than a CJ7. An important key to traction in the Syncro or the friend's 4x4 is a Locking Differential. This was an option on the Syncro rear differential and available aftermarket for the 4x4. I can make all the difference in the world!

Somehow, I don't think that any volume of Internet comments will settle this argument. Your friends are just going to do some head-to-head testing to see for themselves!

Jim Davis, Syncronaut-1st Class 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg