Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 1995 17:45:18 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Engine Out!-'87 Syncro

Hi to all you Vanagoneers, Loafers, Syncronauts, etc.

Just a quick update on my '87 Syncro's progress which hit the list with a post titles something like: No Oil Pressure - '87!

Well it was diagnosed as probably bad rod bearings through the kind of noise that it was making and instead of swapping with a rebuilt I decided to swap with a used engine. I bought a 1990 engine with 30,000 miles for $1,750 complete with clutch, distributer, exhaust including cat & muffler, & fuel injection stuff. Well the old engine was prepped for removal last weekend and removed yesterday with the help of a dear friend. It went very smoothly. The only hang-up was trying to pull the engine straight back from the transaxle without binding on the transmission shaft or the lower engine studs.

Now the engines are side by side waiting for me to do a little work before the "new" engine gets installed.

Exhaust: I'll have to move the Syncro exhaust pipes from my old engine to the '90 engine (they had to make them different!). Does anyone know how to tell it the catalytic convertor is good or bad? Does anyone know how to tell it the muffler is good or bad (aside from having holes in it)?

Clutch: The microfiche I have has the same part number for the Syncro clutch pieces and the 2WD clutch pieces. Does anyone have any reason NOT to trust this and use the newer clutch from the 2WD '90 engine? Also, I have 60,000 miles on the clutch release (throw-out) bearing. Does anyone know how to tell if this one is worn out? Or, should I just replace it anyway to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance for your advice. It is very much appreciated!

Happy Vanagoning,

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg