Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 1995 07:44:54 -0600
From:         Dieter Dworkin Muller <dworkin@village.org>
Subject:      Re: clutch - help

pl2018@bristol.ac.uk wrote: : no howling or grinding, just a reluctance to go into gear especially going : into 2nd. Then a sort of clunk as it finally goes in. Feels like the clunk : is right under the gear stick, but I could just be feeling the vibrations : of the cause in the back. : This has been getting very slightly but steadily worse over the past : months. Recently there's been a "farting" noise as it goes into reverse : which never happened before.

Classic signs of the clutch cable stretching. It's kind of inherent in the way cables are made. The stretching *seems* to show an exponential decay -- lots right after installation, slowly tapering off over the years afterwards. By `lots', I mean three or four adjusting nut turns-worth in two to four weeks.

What's happening is that the clutch is not fully disengaging, so when you put it into gear, you're forcing the clutch to `break loose' and spin (aka slip). This can wear the clutch down quickly if allowed to continue for too long.

: The clutch cable looks very new but there's no more room for adjusting it. : Clutch pedal free play is not too excessive - about an inch. Sag on the : cable is correct.

If you really don't have any adjuster thread left (its back above the tranny, not at the front), then your cable has stretched a *lot*. When I replaced mine recently, I could barely get the wing nut retainer/adjuster fully onto the end of the cable. After a couple months, I've used maybe a tenth of the entire adjustment range.

If you replace your cable soon, you'll shouldn't do much damage to the clutch. I'd recommend this, as pulling the engine is a lot more hassle then simply threading in a new cable (although they seem to take about the same amount of time -- having a helper to grease and guide the cable at the front helps a lot).

NOTE: As mentioned above, new cables stretch. You'll have to adjust the thing several times over the next few months. A side-effect of this is that you'll have to re-learn where your clutch engages a lot, since every time you adjust it, it'll go from disengaging when the pedal is through the floor to disengaging when you think about putting your foot on it. If you're really strong enough to get the adjustment that tight, you should not get it as tight as possible. An inch or so before the clutch disengages is pretty much a minimum. My usual test is to make sure, while I'm under the car, that A) there's no slack in the cable, and B) that there's a couple of millimeters play in the lever that the cable attaches to. Admittedly, after you've been playing with the adjuster for a while, you may not be able to pull on that lever with a whole lot of effect....

Dworkin, who's clutch cable broke a few months ago