Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 1995 10:11:09 EDT
From:         "Ed." <CLAIBORN@cw-f1.umd.umich.edu>
Subject:      Re: Brake line replacement.

> Received: from SpoolDir by CW-F1 (Mercury 1.20); 13 Oct 95 10:40:43 EDT > Return-path: <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Received: from relay.tc.umn.edu by cw-f1.umd.umich.edu (Mercury 1.20); > 13 Oct 95 10:40:36 EDT > Received: from neural.med.umn.edu by relay.tc.umn.edu; Fri, 13 Oct 95 09:39:16 -0500 > Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 09:36:40 CDT > Received: from (localhost) by neural.med.umn.edu; Fri, 13 Oct 95 09:36:40 CDT > Message-Id: <199510131433.HAA05008@netcom19.netcom.com> > Errors-To: gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu > Reply-To: tfab@netcom.com > Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Precedence: bulk > From: tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick) > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Re: Brake line replacement. > X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0c -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas > X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23] > X-PMFLAGS: 33554560 > > And Robinson thus wrote: > > > > Yes yes, I know that Bob Hoover recently wrote a very informative spiel > > on this very subject but I was wondering if I SHOULD replace my brake > > lines. You see I bought this '66 Westy with no brakes ('cept hand > > brake). I look in the master cylinder and jar, and both are bone dry. I > > removed the master cylinder and had no fluid come from any of the > > three(?) lines at all (which reminds me-why are there three brake lines > > coming out of the cyl.?). This bus hasn't been registered since 1983 so > > 2 lines to the front, 1 to the back, which splits on the driver's (LIL) > side of the tranny > > > I'm none too surprised. Here's the question, should I try to flush out > > and use the existing lines or should I just replace the whole system?

You may have a much larger problem then you expected. When a system is run dry, it tends to distroy the master and wheel cylinders. This is because with out the fluid to keep everything lubricated the seals dry up and crack. The first order of business would be to find out where the fluid leaked out in the first place. fill up the resivoir and let the fluid sit for a while. then, do your standard counter- clockwise gravity bleed on all four wheels. again, just let it sit while the seels soak up some fluid. When you are finished, very gently bleed the system the rest of the way. Then you can asess the damage. If no fluid ever got to any of your cylinders, even with a vaccume bleeder, then replace the line. flushing is just a "duct tape" solution. it is nearly impossible to remove all the crud and it will eventually all end up in your cylinders. If you don't find any line leaks, it is in your cylinders. remove each tire and pump the brakes. check to see if propper stoping power is applied. Do NOT pump the brakes once the drums are removed or you will end up with cylinder parts everywhere and a big mess. If no leaks are obvious yet, check the wheel cylinders. if you can, pull the boots back far enough to see under them and check for fluid. if there is any dampness, replace the cylinder. if they are the type that the boots cant be pulled back on, watch closely for any oozing. As far as the three lines are concerned, this is pretty normal, it sounds like a standard 3 channel system. Most cars have independant front brakes and a single line for the rear. This is because the fronts provide 60 to 80% of your stopping power and need to be a little more reliable. be prepared to replace the master and At Least one wheel cylinder. Good luck. Ed.