Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 1995 18:17:17 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Hit from behind by a car going 90mph

Volks,

My latest experience in my 1971 VW bus is kind of rough. As I was driving home from a Bon Jovi load-out at 1:30 am on route 24 west, traveling at about 60mph, some drunk who apparently thought my fabulous double taillights ment that he was still on the road, nailed me hard on the left rear of the bus. He then veered to the left a bit, kept his foot hard on the gas, and continued down the freeway. I looked around, trying to figure out what the #^&*!, kept the bus traveling straight, noticed the dash was lighting up red, and tried to see who and what car hit me. We were both alone on this stretch on highway, and there were no streetlights. I couldn't tell what car other than an american novaish shape. Couldn't see the driver at all as he passed me, couldn't see the color, and couldn't even catch the plate number as he took off. Got one digit I was sure of, _2______. Realized after about three seconds that he was not going to stop, that there was no way I could get close enough to read the plate even if I floored it till the engine seized. So I backed off the throttle, shut the engine down, and coasted towards the next viable place where I could walk off the freeway. This turned out to be quite a ways since it was downhill. I passed Childrens hospital and parked it on the shoulder just after the on-ramp from MLK way.

Bus is toast on the left rear, slammed all the way to the wheel, he had to doing 90-95. Oil fittings torn off the external cooler, Oberg filter dragging on the ground, entire back of the bus covered with oil. I'm lucky that the metal didn't quite hit the tire, which would have wasted the tire and caused a much worse accident. I can put my hand through into the rear of the car from under the rear hatch. Gotta love those headrests I searched so hard for, and the basic seatbelt factor (it was on). I was also concerned about the whole thing going up in flames should the oil have cought fire, or if there had been a gas leak. I'm fine, just a bit achy around the shoulders and neck. I'm now home from work, hanging around on muscle relaxants trying to straighten out the insurance process. I have a whole new perspective on drunk drivers. Even if the guy had pulled over, I'm not sure I would want to confront a drunk with a .45.

I walked back on the freeway to Childrens hospital and called 911, who refered me to the California Highway Patrol dispatcher. She took the call and when I told her I couldn't ID the car or driver, said a patrolcar would meet me where I was. Then I called Hali, who came out too. Of course Hali got there before the CHP. After an hour I called CHP again and they said they were busy and said I could file a desk report on Monday, if I wasn't feeling injured. Since I didn't feel too bad we went home and tried to go to bed. After about three minutes of discussion, and realizing that I really was hit hard and might not understand the injuries myself, we decided that the prudent thing to do was go to the emergency room, bringing books along for the inevitable waiting. Called the CHP again and they said call when you get there and they will try to get someone to take a report at the ER. Paperwork is very important and I didn't want to get stuck with a report that did not include injuries. This requires the police to be present within 24 hours.

Get to the ER at 3:40am, seems quiet for a Saturday night. Call the CHP from the waiting room payphone. When checking in and showing my insurance card the nurse informs me I have to clear this ER visit with my personal care physician. Even for an auto-accident? Yes indeed, so she calls and gets the approval. Pay the $35 ER fee. I then get a return call from the CHP sargeant, who seems reluctant to send an officer on this busy night, but when I tell him I was hit hard while doing 60 mph, he softens up and says he'll send someone down, says it could be a while. Start reading the book in the waiting room. CHP arrives after about half an hour, we talk in a separate room, two officers. They take the report and mention that without a _driver_ ID, there isn't much they can do. They also say that the car is supposed to be towed within 4 hours, but that nobody was really going to do much if it wasn't.

Get called into the ER area about an hour later, where we sit on the bed for another hour. Dr. comes in and checks things out, says I'll hurt more later, doesn't look like anythings bad, take these muscle relaxants and some ibuprofen, don't go back to work right away, (I had a week of overnight double-time calls lined up) take it easy. We leave the hospital at 7:30am and get some breakfast. Go home and call about getting the bus towed, they say someone will be out within half an hour so I stupidly believe them and go back out to the car. Wait an hour and a half, dozing off. Finally get disgusted and go back home. Call and of course they are now waiting at the car, but won't tow without someone there. Go back out, sign the paper and show my insurance numbers, finally get the car towed home and into the driveway. Finally get some rest, after a few more phone calls from work, where they are punting without me.

Today I sleep late and call family, friends, and try to get through to the insurance company. They don't return my calls. So now I'm concerned about getting some of investment back on the bus. Even if it's declared totalled, which I'm sure it will be, I doubt the value of a 1971 VW bus is especially high. I would like to know what the general consensus is on the value of a 1971 Westfalia bus in excellent mechanical and structural condition. I'll be checking the archives for past posts. I also think that I'm in the market for a 1971 Westfalia, hopefully in as good or better condition then the one I lost. I'll keep y'all posted on things.

Eug, X-'71