Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:54:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Joachim Beek <beekj@smd6.jsc.nasa.gov>
Subject:      Leaking gas tank overflow vents on a '90 GL?  Read on...

Hi gang,

after filling up (90 Vanagon) the other day I noticed a little gas dripping from the frame surrounding the gas tank. When it seemed to stop I drove from the gas station back to work (all of two minutes and 0.5 mile), and the drip didn't recur. Nice odour of gasoline, though. Same when I drove home that evening, no drip but smell of gas. Tried to check out the tank and hose connections last night but couldn't see anything amiss; of course, you can't see much of anything down there, even with a small mirror and flashlight. Did a little test drive today; again no drip but still gasoline odours.

Now, when I filled up I used the little auto-shutoff stop tab on the pump handle (you know, so you don't have to stand there holding the nozzle) and I'm thinking that the pressure of the gas when it shut off might have popped an overflow vent hose. (Clutching at straws here.) BTW, is it just me or does it seem that pumps shut off with a more violent 'thud' when you use that stop tab?

Anyway, Bentley says to remove the filler tube, an overflow tube here, an overflow tube there, a couple of retaining bolts on the frame, and wahla the tank is removed. When I looked last night, I couldn't even *see* where the overflow tubes connect, let alone get my grubby hands in there to do it.

So, two questions to the collective list wisdom... 1) since there isn't gas gushing out, am I right in assuming that it's probably just an overflow hose that's popped loose, or a grommet that's failed, rather than something more serious like a hole in the tank? 2) has this happened to anyone else? 3) Bentley makes tank removal sound simple but, like I said, you can't even see some of those hose connections. How much of a pain in the rear is it really?

OK, so that was three questions, but I cain't count...that's why I's got one of them computer thingies.

Eagerly awaiting soothing words of wisdom and illuminating answers, Joachim and the '90 Drip -- I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work.