Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 95 13:43:15 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: cargo hauls

well, everybody else is telling their lies about hauling around the Statue of Liberty or the National Debt in their buses!!! so i just figure i'll throw my lies out on the table. :)

my 1971 bus was loaded down with everything in the world i owned (or had borrowed) when i moved back home after 4.5 years of college (summer,fall, winter,spring ... no vacation. and you wondered why i was like this!!??). on a flat and level stretch, it would max out at 45 mph. but i made it home (89 miles). could not see out the rear or sides ... only via the outside mirrors.

my 1980 bus carried a queen-size mattress, box spring, clothes washer, dryer, baby bed, a chest of drawers, and some big ugly chair that she wanted to take ... along with assorted bedclothes, blankets, and loose junk to fill in the gaps between the mattress and the headliner of the bus.

my 1968 double-cab pickup truck carried 8 inches of sand in the back. we didn't realize at the time how heavy sand was ... but it didn't break any- thing (the shocks were never the same, howevery) and steering around corners was best done by hitting the brakes and turning the wheel, hit the brakes, turn the wheel, etc. i will NOT do that again.

now, the real champeen is the 1988 bus. 1463 possums. yup. took me three weeks of Karpet Kare treatments to get that smell out ... and i still found two dead ones (little ones, though) under the back seat (they'll hide ANYWAY to avoid being barbecued!!). and 12 cases of beer.

the party was a big hit, though.

:)