Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 1995 22:46:24 -0500
From:         herbh@iastate.edu
Subject:      1500 cc VW Manual

'60 Something VW'ers

Many years ago I owned a beautiful '67 21 window Deluxe Transporter with sunroof. I bought it with 10k miles for $1750 and drove it until '74 when our daughter rolled it in a high wind in South Dakota. Fortunately, she was wearing her seat belt and got out with only sore hips and a thankful father.

The accident converted a beauty into a rather ugly, misshapen and undrivable vehicle. My son and I converted the remains, floor pan down, into an ungainly van in the process learning a great deal about building a car. The experience provided a wonderful set of lines when he applied for a job as an engineer with Ford where he has been successfully working on vehicle cooling and handling dynamics for many years.

Anyway, he finally totaled out the rebuilt van. The only surviving part is the shop manual for the original car. Since I have enough projects to last a lifetime, I have decided to part with the manual.

This manual is titled "Owner's Service Manual" (Volkswagen Station Wagons and Trucks). The cover is blue with a picture of the engine compartment. The inside cover indicates "Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft" copyright 1964 printed in Germany. This is not a Bentley book.

This book covers vans with the 1500 (1493cc) engine.

All the pages are in the book. The binding is broken and several of the pages are loose. A couple of the pages are torn in the corner but no information is missing. There are a few grease marks on the pages where we have made good use of the book.

I would like to give the book away but I have no idea of how to do it fairly. Therefore, if there is a demand for the book, I will "sell" it to the highest bidder. The price paid will be used to encourage continuation of this group. Joel has some ideas on how we can use the money wisely.

Please contact me directly with a bid. I will hold the bidding open until the end of October so anyone on vacation or travelling will have a decent chance.

Herb Harmison herbh@iastate.edu