Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 1995 01:14:47 +0100 (MET)
From:         Edward van der Jagt <bivdjagt@cs.few.eur.nl>
Subject:      Engine transfered, finally ! - part II

Today we worked on the engine swap in my '71 again, and have run into a few problems. The `swap'engine had an alternator instead of a generator. We kept the alternator and connected the wires as follow: - green on blue - all thick red wires (+) together - the two wires which were attached to the generator were attached the same way on the alternator (safe for a different connecting plug) - the small box where these wires come from has been eliminated Did we do this right ?

The swapped engine had a different model air cleaner, but we decided to use the original one since it nicely fits to the mount in the engine compartement. This also gave us the problem of a different size and length of hose coming out of the cleaner to the oil filler (?). We're still working on that one.

The most serious problem of all is that the engine won't start. It turns, but doesn't fire. We're gonna do some more checks probably later this week. It may be just a weak battery. We haven't checked all possibilities yet, so hopefully we'll find it quickly.

Another problem is that we can't seem to get the gas cable back into its housing anymore. We had taken it out because we had to cut the cable when we were pulling the engine. When trying to push it through the housing, the cable seems to be obstructed by something, which feels like pushing it against a solid surface. The obstruction seems to be at about the same place as where the housing passes a chassis bar. As an intermediate solution we'll probably use cable from a bicycle (non of the shops have accelerator cables for busses). But does anyone have an idea why the cable doesn't go through the housing ?

The last problem (for now) is that the horn doesn't work. We have tried to figure out were all the wires go to, but without result. Two two-wire cables come from the horn itself. From one of those cables a light-brown wire goes to the steering housing but never makes it, 'cause it is broken. On the horn button side there is a wire of the same colour, so I guess those two have to be connected somehow. The wire inside the steering- column doesn't seem to be broken, because it won't come out when pulled. On the bottom, there is wire connected to on of the nuts of a bolt bolting the steering column to the housing. This wire seems to go *into* the column. But I don't think this is the correct wire, since it would then make a very useless electrical circuit for the horn. I have found some sort of holder for a `slide-connector' (sorry, don't know the correct word) at the bottom of the column under a ring, inside the bus. But it doesn't make much sense as it still doesn't connect to the wire inside the column to anything. Please can someone help me with this one. I need it to work to be road legal and finally get license plates (and to be safer in traffic in Rotterdam).

Thanks. -- Edward bivdjagt@cs.few.eur.nl http://www.cs.few.eur.nl/~bivdjagt/