Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:12:53 MST
From:         "Jacob Shaun Dustin" <DUSTINO@caedm.et.byu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Heat: A New Approach?

Mark,

Utah's not exactly warm in the winter either, so Im working towards arecirculating heat system right now...not a oil cooler based system, but a recirculating system. I'm not worried about co poisoning, as i figure bernoulis principle acting on all my aftermarket ventilators (holes in the bus) seems to doa pretty good job of keeping the air fresh inside. What I've decided to try is installing a blower from a full size Ford air conditioner in the spare tire well behind the bachk seat in my '71. I cut a three inch hole in thmetal into the engine compartment, bought some 3" flexible aluminum hose ($4.99), a 2" PVC 'Y' fitting, and a couple of cans of that expanding spray foam sealant, which I'm going to try to set on fire tonigth since the can says nothing about flame resistance (it's sticky stuff- - don't ever get it on your hands). Anyhow, I plan on putting the blower in the well, running the hose through the hole and across the top of the engine compartment, and running stock 2" heater hose from the 'Y' to the heat exchangers. My theory is that the air from the back of the bus wont be any colder than the air outside, and the increased flow of air will at least make me feel better. It's taken a more little creative thought than a kit, but the blower was free, and it blows like a bugger. I'll keep y'all posted.

Any comments would be appreciated, by the way.

Shaun Dustin