Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:04:57 -0500
From:         michaelk@uscyber.com (Michael Ketterhagen)
Subject:      74 bus oil leaking/burning (longish)

I recently (early August) purchased a 74 bus for $500. It seemed to be a pretty good deal because a) it ran, and b) it had relatively little rust on it (some major dents on both sides, though). I did not check the engine compression, however (o.k., strike one). I figured for $500, if I could get it home, I could drop a new engine in it, etc., and still not be out too much cash. Some one had replaced the stock carbs with some Webers (I'm not sure which model). The guy I bought it from had good maintenance records through the end of 1993, but nothing later than early 1994. I don't think it had been worked on since then.

I got a copy of the Idiot's Guide and did the valve adjustment (and finally got it right), replaced the valve cover gaskets, and changed the oil filter and screen. I also put a quart of Duralube in it (Steeerike two!!!, maybe). When I was adjusting the valves, I noticed that the exhaust valve in cylinder three was stuck. No adjusting could allow even the smallest feeler gauge to fit. After a minor timing adjustment, new Bosch plugs (except for cylinder 3, in which the spark plug hole had been drilled out so that the spark plug needed to have a larger diameter to fit [I regapped the old one and put it back in]), the engine sounded good and started up better and ran better than it had since I bought it (it had more power and didn't stall out at stop signs). I also noticed a little fuel-air mixture reversion in the carburetor barrel for cylinder 3.

So, you might ask, what's the problem? I have developed a massive oil leak. Suddenly the engine is both burning oil (grayish smoke, greasy residue) and leaking it (I actually leave a trail). When the bus is parked after driving, it leaves two puddles of oil under it, each more or less centered under the pistons. It's hard to see exactly where the oil is leaking from, but it's both leaking and burning oil. I haven't driven it since noticing this problem.

This is my first VW. Once I do something mechanical, I can do it well, but I don't have the instincts and experience yet to make observations and discern what's wrong.

Questions: 1. Could the Duralube have anything to do with the oil leaking and burning? I have read some disparaging remarks about Slick 50 here without explanation of the negativity. The guy who writes the "Drive Your Car Forever" column recently wrote that the internal engine cleaner/ Duralube regimen is one of the worst things one can do to an engine. I did not use the internal engine cleaner, by the way. 2. If I pull the engine and overhaul it, replace the cylinders and pistons, put in a new gasket set, and put on new cylinder heads, should this solve the problem? If not, what do I need to look for as I overhaul the engine? Do I even need to overhaul the engine? 3. Can I put in a larger stock-type engine (1800 or 2000)? Maybe I could buy a bus (76-80) with a decent engine and a rotted body and make the switch?

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid, but I'm still learning. I am, however, committed to the bus and the air-cooled VW ethos. We even plan on buying a bug in the next few years.

Please preface the subject of any responses with the letters "ds", as I am temporarily using the E-mail account of a friend, as my Internet provider gets its act together and signs up my account.

Thanks for your consideration,

David Schimpf (ds)