Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:12:41 +0100 (MET)
From:         darie@hasler.ascom.ch (Darie Duclos)
Subject:      Update: where'd my clutch go??

With all the great expertise I received, and by deciphering my german VW Bus manual (!), I was able to get a little further into the investigation of the problem. Then it got too dark. Here is the progress I've made:

1 - The book said to push the clutch in while at a standstill and hold it there 3-5 seconds, then try to engage reverse (which is non-synchronized). If it grinds, then the problem is with the clutch (as opposed to the transmission I take it). It grinds. Good, it's the clutch.

2 - According to Joel's description, since the pedal still has a normal feel to it (full resistance), it shouldn't be the clutch cylinders or brake fluid. Also, I found no leaks anywhere along the hydraulic system.

3 - Found the slave cylinder above the left side of the tranny (took a while, I was expecting something bigger :-) ). Following Jim Bryant's advice I had my hubby press the clutch pedal while I observed the slave cylinder. It moves. Unfortunately, I couldn't identify the clutch lever to see if *it* moved. Would it be on the thick or the narrow end of the slave cylinder? Or somewhere else?

4 - Found the shifting rod (the thing that moves back & forth when you shift, right?) but couldn't identify the "big nut" which Joel suggests might have come loose. Could it have come *off*? Where should it be exactly? Is this possibility still consistent with the findings above?

5 - Harvey suggested that the bolt holding the slave cylinder to a bracket mounted on the transaxel could have come loose, in which case the slave reacts when you step on the clutch, but doesn't move the clutch lever. Very good possibility. So where's the clutch lever that's supposed to be moving? :-} Alternately, would I be able to jiggle the slave cylinder with my hand if the bolt has gotten loose?

Finally, the book I have says that if the clutch does not disengage the transmission and the test in (1) has been performed successfully, then it's either the brake fluid or the clutch plate (!) Resistance in the pedal tells us it's not the brake fluid, so how would the clutch plate be at fault? (Mind you, it sounded like clutch plate, I didn't look it up in the dictionary..)

Thanks again!!

Darie '86 Westy