Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 1995 11:11:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Mitch Covington <mitch@geomag.gly.fsu.edu>
Subject:      '71 bus; engine in - RUNS!;thanks;intro

Hi y'all,

It seems like years since I bought the '71 bus, drove it home and subscribed to the vanagon list. Now several months later, the engine is back in the bus and purring nicely. Rebuilding the engine was definitely an exercise in patience, perseverence and frustration. While the engine ran OK to begin with, it was the filthiest thing you could imagine, so I decided to pull it and at least clean it off. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, the engine was totally disassembled, pieces bagged with labels. Though the compression checked out fine (145 +-5), it turned out that one of the heads was cracked at the spark plug hole. To make a short story long, I ended up doing a semi-Muldoon, replacing only the parts that were really bad. The rest of the bus was a real nightmare. While the body looks pretty good, _everything_ else that could need replacing did... brakes (incl. power booster), ball joints, CVs, etc. While the engine was on the table, I ran across a '71 westy in much better condition for $400. Supposedly, the reason it was grounded is that the oil cooler had split, spilling oil. The owner didn't want to continue to maintain this vehicle and was anxious to unload it. So now I've got 2 buses completely filling our 2 car garage. Now that I know the rebuilt engine is running, I'll put it in the westy and sell/give the bus body away, keep the westy engine as a backup. Anybody want the old body? It's in 'GOOD CONDITION'. :-) sorry, Bob, couldn't resist.

For other rookies like myself, I'm sharing my mistakes so perhaps you may avoid them.

Mistakes:

- I was too impatient and bought a bus too soon with too much wrong. Though it was only $600, in the long run this was a total waste.

- I believed some of the things that the seller said. When it comes to money, some people will screw there own mother.

- I placed too much confidence in the compression test. It had very little reflection on what condition the engine was in.

- I tried to follow both Tom Wilson's manual and the Idiot's guide at the same time, while referring to Bentley occasionally. As they do things in a different sequence, this was a mistake. While following Wilson's steps, I left out the big warpy washer on the BACK of the crankshaft, and had to resplit the engine to put it in :(. Wilson doesn't mention this washer but does show it in a photo. Too obvious, maybe.

After the engine halves were mated, I put the distributor driveshaft in and the slot didn't line up exactly like the sketches in the manuals...they all seem to make a big deal about this orientation of the slot. It was about 18 degrees off perpindicular to the seam of the crankcase, when it should have been perp. This led to wondering if the dots on the crankshaft/camshaft had gotten misaligned... meaning splitting the case again! I decided to continue the assembly, thanks to most advice from list members, and it turned out to not be a problem. I can only guess that maybe the brass 'worm' gear had a burr on it that displaced the slot just a bit. Any ideas or similar stories?

Thanks to all of you who helped. I apolgize for not thanking you individually... this may have been a faux pas on my part, but I didn't want to waste the bandwidth.

Just in case I'm committing another sin by never giving an intro, here it is:

I'm a 40 year old micropaleontologist, do consulting work for major oil companies. Married, in every way but legally, have a 16 month old son and another in the oven. Masters in Geology from FSU here in Tallahassee, FL. Grew up in N. Carolina, youngest of 7. I'm very thankful for the vanagon listserver. Hopefully I'll be on the advice giving end one day, rather that take, take, take... :-)

Mitch