Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:44:01 -700 (PDT)
From:         Michael Wagner <mwagner@deltanet.com>
Subject:      making friends with tailgaters

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Mike White wrote:

> I'm doing so, the hill steepens and I'm probably doing 50. Well Mr. > "I can go fast in my 1975 Japaneese station wagon" is right on my > tail. As I always do, I signal right indicating that I am going to > get over in the slow lane as soon as I am around the trucker. > > But OH NO. Mr Station wagon, AS I AM CHANGING LANES cuts to the > right and starts to try to pass me. So I swerve left. Look out the > side and glare. He gets cut off by another slow moving vehicle, and > gets behind me again.

People tend to drive maniacally here in San Diego, and inexplicably tailgate at all times. I'm about as patient as the next person, but there have been a few times when I'm a tad upset about having some jerk glued to my rear bumper AND I STAND ON THE F*****G BRAKES!!! Then give them a nice smile and wave, knowing that they've soiled their shorts in fear of running into me.

I'm in the market for a bumper sticker advising tailgaters that tailgating will not make my car go any faster...

I can't decide if this is immature driving on my part or a good-natured effort to improve the driving habits of others...