Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 95 19:24 CST
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      trying to get parts in Germany

James, SStones, Paul & Steve:

While you were trying to decypher the post on parts in Germany, I contacted the original poster offlist. His name is actually MICHAEL ANTHONY (for those of you old enough to remember) and he was looking for someone who might need a boat load of unregistered 1953 Type 2s. It seems this ship had just left Hamburg harbor in 53 during a very violent storm. The waves pushed the ship ashore and the skipper left it there, assuming all was lost.

Skip forward about 42 years and Mr. Anthony is buying land along the coast of Germany for his filthy rich boss. Much to his surprise the deal includes this shi*load of old VWs on the beach of the little cove overlooked by the challet.

Now, to find a suitable recipient of this treasure, Mr. Anthony is instructed to subscribe to an appropriate VW Internet discussion list, post some apparent garbage and wait for some nice VW-loving soul to offer assistance.

Too late, guys, I already offered my assistance. The ship was repaired, refloated and at this very minute is setting course for the St. Laurence Seaway to Chicago (nearest port of call to me here in DeKalb, Illinois).

I will keep you posted on the progress!

-Jim (this *is* Friday, right?) Bryant