Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:13:04 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      re:  Progress

interesting to see different opinions, but I think it has been iverlooked that a lot of the early improvement were good. It is also showing subjective opinions on whar you all like to drive. Are there Luddites out there? What is the ideal state of technology? No, technology won't save us, it just changes things. Some for better some not.

I don't like smog, duh, and like higher emissions standards on cars. I drove a bus with f i for years, and liked it. I find a single carb system very functional though. and there isn't such a mystery when it goes bad, and parts aren't outrageously expensive. I get better milage with the carb too (?).

wabbott@megatest.com said : >Now I love splities, but the T2 is a better bus in all respects

whaaaaaat? A bus is a type 2. T2=transporter of all models (truck, ambulance, 21 window, vanagon et.)

Does this mean post 67?

>The type IV motor was a revelation itself, and the Waterboxer made >the vanagon accelerate like a 914. From a couple trips with a friend, >I think the EV is even better.

this is all subjective- if you need to go 75mph, fine. But I know a lot of people who have put a upright 1600 in their 72-79 bus when the type 4 motor crapped out. The little extra power isn't worth the expense and awkwardness. I'm happy cruising at 55-60 in my old bus. :-) Gimme a stock 1600 on an A case with new German cam and lifters and listen to tht engine purr all the way to Alberta and back. I know some folks who have a 40 hp motor, and take long trips in it, at 50- 55 I think.

And I like split screen buses. I prefer the suspension, the king pin style gives it better control on winding roads, and it doesn't have the spongy feeling of ball joint buses. I like the character, the feeling of them. The lack of plastics everywhere. I like lots of little windows, and the art deco design.

They made improvements when they stopped making barndoors. The brakes, the cargo doors, ventilation, standard rear hatch, etc, but reduced leg room. Over the years trannys got better. (Started as crash box - not at all synchronised) Motor size was bigger as the years went on. (Brazilia buses have upright 1600s Does anyone have more info on them? Anyone have a friend there who could send a brochure from the dealer?) In 64 the front door mechansm was changed- doors don't pop open when crunched, like on my 61. Seat belts became standard in 66, but shoulder belts are better. bla bla bla woof woof.

enjoy your bus no matter what year it is. that's what it is all about.

clara