Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:00:05 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Interstate Batteries Researched & Purchased

Consumer Reports has tested auto batteries twice in the last ten years. The first time, they pronouncnced Interstate the best battery. In a test published in the last few months, Sears came out on top. The latest test, however, included very few batteries and in my opinion was quite poor.

Nevertheless, I called Sears the other day and asked about their Group 41 size, the size that fits in the Vanagon. They said they didn't have a Gold version of 41 and that if I wanted a 41 I had to settle for their "ordinary" Diehard.

Meanwhile, I went to a tire shop to buy a tire and I noticed a stack of Interstate batteries. I looked in their applacation guide and I noticed that they had *two* 41s, a regular one and a "MagaTron," or what seems to be their version of Sear's Gold battery. Looking in their application guide, however, turned up another possibility, their MB 66-60, otherwise specified as the MT91.

The MagaTron 41 had 650 CCA and 110 mins of reserve capacity whereas the MT91 had 700 CCA and 115 mins of reserve capacity. The 91 is slightly different in dimension, being a hair taller, which makes the fit difficult but not impossible.

I purchased the 91.

If I had to do this again, I think I would purchase the Optima, which I believe fits in the tray (needs confirmation) and puts out 800 CCA and has 120 mins reserve capacity. The Optima is a sort of exotic design that is supposed to charge up faster, be more able to withstand deep discharges, and can be mounted upside down. Its popular in the 4x4 community.

This discussion applies to the regular automotive battery for the Vanagon. For the drivers side I use a Group 27 size Exide combination deep cycle starting battery, their *lower* grade battery cause the higher grade battery doesn't fit. So far as I know/believe, this exide is among the few large 12 volt marine batteries that will fit in the tray behind the driver. but it still sticks up a little and the tray must be modified a little. Also, I think you need the swivel base for the driver or it won't fit. ___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)