Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Nov 95 12:23:17 EST
From:         Poor Richard <rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Need help with brake problem

Howdy all. Well, my sketchy-at-best brakes on the '67 have finally gone too far. As you may recall, it all started when I replaced my flex lines (all 4) about 2 months ago. This new, increased flow proceeded to blow out my master cylinder, as well as a couple wheel cylinders. I replaced the MC with an earlier style, 1 chamber model, mainly because of cost. I have a new wheel cylinder for the passenger rear, as it really leaks, and rebuild kits for the others, which aren't bad. AS a note, there are now 3 compression fittings in the system, put in to adapt the different master cylinder. Anyway, The system previously had been losing pressure. When I would get in the bus for the first time in a day or so, The pedal would sink to the floor. I would then pull it back, and all would be well. However, on an extended trip, I noticed my gas mileage was very bad. I stopped at a rest stop, and noticed that the driver's front wheel was barely smoking, and theat the 2 rear wheels were very hot as well. I limped home, hoping the pressure would abate. However, yesterday, I tried to drive across town, and found the brakes to be super-tight, and still dragging.

So-Help! IS it the master cylinder gone bad? That would be my guess, as it does affect the whole system. Would continued use with leaking wheel cyls cause a 2-month old MC to go bad??? Help please, as I am scheduled to make a decent trip this weekend... Thanks, Richard