Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:21:38 -0600 (CST)
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: Pop-tops and nuking thieves

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, howard quigley wrote:

> Hello, > I am new to the list, I only discovered it last week and have been > lurking since then. I've got a '72 Bus with the Westy pop-top. The > question I have is will a '78 Westy top fit onto my '72 bus. The top > I have is in very ragged condition, the fiberglass is very rough and > the canvas top is in shredds. I was at a junk yard the other > day and they had a receint arrival of a '78 camper. The top was in > great shape and I could get quite a deal on both the fiberglass hard > top and the canvas. I know they pop up in opposite directions, > but if I just flip it around will it bolt right on?

Hmmm...don't know about that. I'd like to find out, though. I know where there's a '76 with a good top too...and mine is kinda ruff.

> > Is this going to too much trouble? Would it be simpler to just > purchase a canvas top, install it myself and repaint the > fiberglass?

What do you mean repaint? I'm getting visions of latex paint peeling in about a year or two. There have been numberous discussions on this list about ways to clean tops, with the ultimate solution being somewhere between environmentally friendly and a lot of work to "let's destroy the environment NOW and mix up some pretty toxic chemicals." You might want to search the list archives for info on this. To start, you can send a message back to the listserv: <---NOT the discussion list ^^^^^^^^

listserv@lenti.med.umn.edu

with no title line and the four-letter word "help" (no quotes) in the body of the message. No other text should be included. The listserv will then very politely tell you how to use it...pointing you to info about all sorts of features.

Sorry I can't give you better instructions on searching the archives, but I always have to look back on that "help" message to figure it out. 'Sides, I'd rather give you a fishing pole than just a fish. 8)

> Does anyone know where I can buy the canvas top?

Lots of places, including JC Whipme (er, Whitney) sell fishing poles, er canvas tops. They range from around $200 up. Your note made me think, maybe you could just remove the canvas part and install it in your bus? Some measuring is probably in order...unless someone here knows the answer. Mine was home-made by the PO (previous owner)...and though they did a good job on the canvas, I would have rather they fixed the heads...or brakes...or pilot bearing. They used a heavy jungle-patterned material, some nylon screen and velcro -- I LOVE velcro! They didn't quite get the front part of the canvas nailed/stapled in right, but I fixed it over the summer.

> How much do they cost and how easy are they to install? On both the > tops the rubber seal is shot, where can I find one of these and how > much do they cost?

Whipme sells yours for around $75. I'm currently living without one, and will probably think of some other solution to keep the top from rubbing my paint off. I can't part with the $75 for a roof rubber. Too many other necessities.

I guess I need a really good catalogue of > Volkswagen parts, any suggestions?

I don't have any of the numbers handy, but there should be a file somewhere.

Good luck! 8) Joe '71 campmobile

---------------------------------------------------------- Joseph F. Fournier II <jfourni@comp.uark.edu> 501.575.7353 <a href="http://comp.uark.edu/~jfourni/"> Joe Fournier</a> ---------------------------------------------------------- | "640K ought to be enough for anybody." | egg-n-noggin | | -- Bill Gates, 1981 | \/ | ---------------------------------------- -------\/\/------