Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Nov 95 19:23 CST
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      Contacts for VDO Gauges

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:51:04 -0600 >From: peter_jensen@MERCK.COM(Peter Jensen)

>I am looking for the following gauges senders, and hardware >to monitor the, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temperature, and >Alternator Output (preferably in Amps), and maybe Fuel >Pressure on a 1989 Waterboxer Westy. Any contacts or advise >on how to proceed? VDO is $$$, but I would prefer quality >and something that matches the stock gauges.

>Thanks,

>Pete

>(Afraid of idiot lights and gauges with out numbers)

Pete,

I am afraid to post this to the list ... I tracked down the VDO catalog I bought when I started restoring my 67. I am ashamed to say it is the 1983 edition. Yes, the restoration took that long. At any rate, this is what is (or *was* in 1983) on their literature:

980 Brooke Road P.O. Box 2897 Winchester, VA 22601 (203)665-0100

945 "A" So. Greenwood Ave. Montebello, CA 90640 (213) 724-2600

The catalog and price list gives "The VDO Story", a guide to selection, examples of the (then) four lines, a listing of senders, mounting accessories, ordering guide, and function guide.

At that time the lines were: 1) Series 1 (like old stock VW, chrome bezel) 2) Cockpit (same as #1 only *black* bezel) 3) JetCockpit (same as #2 with exposed screw mounts) 4) TopCockpit (Same as #2 to mount "on top" of dash)

Since then I have seen the Vintage series (same as #1 only with "old" style lettering. Included are tachometer, voltmeter, ammeter, oil temperature, water temperature, oil pressure, vacuum, turbocharger, cylinder head temperature.

The sender list is fairly specific, including temperature/pressure range, thread, and part number for each application. The mounting accessories include in-dash/under-dash brackets, reducing rings, dimmer rings, mini-consoles, custom consoles (look like they would be perfect for mounting on top of Vanagon instrument pod, BTW), wiring kits, warning lights, two-way adapter senders, and a matching tire pressure gauge.

Everthing EXCEPT what VDO stands for!

The catalog was $2.00US then and I have no idea where I got the address or phone number to contact them originally. DB&HVWs does not list them in the advertising index in the back of each issue (even in 1983, I checked). I guess DB&HVWs had an article and included contact phone or address.

So, anyone up to trying a couple of twelve-year-old phone numbers?

-Jim Bryant