Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:42:51 -0500
From:         schapal@jonesctr.org (Scott Chapal)
Subject:      77 Westfalia questions

Hello Vanagon!

I'm brand new to the list and am grateful to have found it. I have some questions for the priesthood.

1) My 77 Westfalia has the infamous [hot]starter/solenoid problem. [Actually now it doesn't even have to be hot. I can fix it temporarily by jumping the terminals on the solenoid or by getting a jump from another car. The lights dim when the key is turned to the start position, but nothing happens.] I have been snooping through FAQ's etc. and have gotten a look at the starter relay solution.

a) Is this fix considered permanent? b) Since the presumed culprit is the wiring!?, wouldn't replacing the wiring harness be a good idea? Why can't I find a wiring harness advertised for this year model? [Or where can I find one].

2) The original owner replaced the fuel injection with dual carburetors. Insofar as my prime objective is to "restore" this bus to dependable [go on long trips with least problems] condition, would it:

a) Be a good idea to replace the fuel injection? Is this possible/desirable/outrageously expensive? b) Keep and improve the dual carb setup. c) Any other suggestions eagerly accepted.

3) I live in South West Georgia. The closest city is Tallahassee. Does anyone have suggestions for:

a) VW garages in this area (or in the SouthEast generally) b) Body/Paint shops

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.

--Scott E. Chapal