Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Nov 1995 20:49:18 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Interstate Batteries Researched & Purchased

In a message dated 95-11-16 17:56:38 EST, AJAX668873@aol.com writes:

>I am planning to add the second battery to my 87 westy in the near future. > How much do I have to modify the compartment behind the driver's seat to >accomodate the battery?

I added a second battery in the driver's side compartment of my non-westy '87 Syncro. No compartment modifications were necessary.

Also, do you have to "tie" the battery down?

Absolutely, you should "tie" it down. I clamped mine down using the same type of bracket as found on the passenger's side. I didn't spend the money on a VW bracket, but bought a generic bracket thing at a hardware store and cut and bent it to be like the stock one. I drilled a hole through the wheel well and put through an 8mm dia bolt up from the bottom with a 13mm (wrence size) nut on top to hold it in place. Above the nut the bolt was long enough to go through the bracket and another nut just like the stock setup.

> I was >hoping to be able to put the battery in a plastic marine battery case. Has >anyone found a decent battery that would fit in a plastic case and still fit >in this compartment?

I fail to see the usefullness of the plastic box. The 1st battery lives fine without it.

> I do have swivel seats.

I don't.

> How much should I expect the >dealer to charge me to set up this system?

An arm and 1/2 of a leg.

> Finally, if I just put the batter

Batter? What is this a cooking mail-list? :-)

>in and the terminals touch the metal top of the compartment will I have a >problem?

YES!!!!! Heed other's warnings on this. One thing though. I saw someone mention a wooden sheet to insulate between the terminals and the cover. This could be a problem. While DRY wood is a pretty good electrical insulator, if it got wet (who knows how) it could absorb the water (typical water is an excellent conductor) which would create a short between the battery positive terminal and the cover. This would be BAD news. I would stick with some sort of plastic insulator, just to be on the safe side.

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg