Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Nov 1995 17:37:36 -0400
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      "Tundra Toaster" heater II

More data for those who care, this is the ONLY NON-VENTED propane heater available, yes, non-vented. The claim is 97% efficiency keeps water vapour to 'zero' (since I always thought it was a main product of propane burning I don't really believe it, chemists?) To heat a van/tent the rep. said to run a 4" flexi pipe in through the window, and keep the heat setting low. He gave me the name of a company using them indoors to dry drywall/plaster so... it must be very low on water vapour output. Must check! COx ??? Current draw is 5.7amps/12V 6-7hrs on the battery. Flame-detect and overheat and airflow sensors which will cut off propane if probs. occur, including low battery/loss of airflow. Seems safe enough. The cooking attachment is $60, oil pan heater $52. Boils large pan of water in 12 minutes. Temp range is 100-700 fahrenheit! not C, my typo. A possible loaf install would be to remove the spare tire well and put in an access door, then reach down to turn it on? Maybe blast doors like on those missle silos?

tim smith