Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:56:18 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      '67 Westy Resto from Hell Update (F/L)

Wednesday night I stopped by the Shop from Hell and picked up a Vanagon full of misc Pearl painted"bits" to take them home and preserve their fresh condition and to get them out of the painter's way. Thursday (Last night) I pulled the front and rear suspension and spring plates. We're getting close to laying down the Velvet Green on the lower half of the bus. This is to include all under carriage and engine compartment. Saturday or Tuesday is the day on which the green is supposed to happen . Monday is out because he has to go to a Bible study that is ironically named "Promise Keepers." The humor is too rich to comment on. No intention of putting down Bible studies by any means, just the ironic name... The top half of the bus is already in the Pearl color/colour. The bus is actually looking pretty nice! Color sanding and minor touch ups will be necessary all around. The paint/bodyman was a bit put out when I mentioned (in a bit of reverse psychology) that I was not in a screaming hurry to get the bus out due to my wife and I being in the midst of buying a different house and selling our current property. I mentioned that we needed to make a move while the interest rates in the USA are still doable and that we couldn't let the bus screw up our entire life. I mentioned that getting the bus out of the shop now would put a major burden on my real estate dealings. Political seasons in the USA have funny ways of affecting the percentage rate, probably down during the "season" then magically back up after the promises turn to more lies. The busman interpreted this news as a potential wait for pay right before the holiday season. He surprisingly seems more interested in getting the bugger finished now for some funny reason known only to him. He is going to "Promise Keepers" after all! ;) We'll see how quickly it gets finished now... Still waiting for word from my other source that promised to get a wholesale price on the rubber (last August). After several calls and proddings, the source said that they are waiting for just the right time to slip it through. I hate to imagine or guess what and where "it" will be slipped. The motor needs to be taken over to the place that will install the three bolt flanges to the header and the heater boxes. I refuse to fight with the satanic 10mm donut clamps on this bus. So far the only player in this project was the lady who did the upholstery on the front seats. She promised that they would be completed in a week and she called in five days. Whoever might have said that ladies don't know how to conduct business never met Maxine of Chicks Auto Upholstery, Tempe, AZ. She'd probably kick their butt without a problem or a second thought! If you don't know her she comes across as a tough/take no "guff" person. Otherwise she's a sweetheart, a craftman(person), and very reasonably priced for what you get. Kudos to Max! I will keep y'all posted Rusty VanBondo