Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:55:42 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Additional lights (was: Lighting Switch)

In a message dated 95-11-17 06:36:13 EST, smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith) writes:

>Am I correct in assuming they come without a light switch?? My 85 panel had >switches on all doors, but only one light, above the driver. The 87GL has >same, with two rear lights and drivers side. They all will come on if any >of the 4 doors are opened. Thought this was standard? Neither are Westies >however.

This 3 light, 4 switch setup is the same as in my 87 and my 88

> I have a spare fitting to install in front passengers side soon, no >other mods req'd, except maybe one light in rear hatch area.

I've added a light above the front passenger in both my vans. It's real easy, the hole is already in the metal with a plastic plug stuck into it. Just feel throught the headliner to locate it. I also added a map light above the front passenger's shoulder. It's the kind with a concentrated beam, mounted on an 8"(approx) flexible stalk. It's real easy to add the wiring for this light if you're already adding the stock type of light in the same area. I added another stock light in the rear hatch on both vans also. The toughest part of this job is pulling off the vinyl covered panel off the rear hatch to get access. By the way there's a steel brace that runs vertically behind the panel, right in the center. So you'll need to mount the light to one side of center to avoid the brace. I mounted on the driver's side to also avoid the rear wiper motor. The other problem area is getting a new wire (that's switched ground from the door switches) from the body to the hatch. This runs throught the little rubber tube thing which is a little hard to get access to.

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg