Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 1995 00:39:53 -0500
From:         JonahGold@aol.com
Subject:      Joel, change the stats!

(Wow... didn't think I'd be sending a message with this subject for 6 months or more!!)

A very belated and hearty THANKS to all who responded to my posts of last week, as regards the consideration [& subsequent purchase of] my:

'87 Syncro Westie -- (as yet unnamed. )

All went well, with the long story for those interested, below. Technical specs: full Westfalia package; 4sp; 88K miles; power steering, mirrors; new transmission & clutch; alloy wheels; Denon sound system; piaa fog lights; trailer hitch; and all standard trimmings.

Funny thing is, last Thurs I was planning to head down to Chapel Hill in 3 days, to consider purchase of a Toyota Celica FS there, and drive around while looking for a late model syncro westie. Saw a post on the list here, for a loaded '87 in great shape, asking price $12K....and only a 1/2 hour drive from where I live, here in NYC.

Later that afternoon I ended up putting down a deposit on a final sale price of $11,3. Though the bus looked in great shape, and drove smooth as could be (as far as my less technical sensibilities could decipher), there were no repair records to be had and it did feel a bit risky. Now, now... I know some on the list might dispute the rushed and impatient lack of bargaining with which I acted. But since I was the first to get there, and didn't care to go through the stress of waiting till the ad came out in local papers the next few days, potentially losing the deal to a higher bidder, I opted for security. This was, afterall, exactly what I was looking for, and I think fairly priced for what it was.

Anyway, technically, the bus is in great shape. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay pleased. :-) Feels so much different than the '71 westie I had 7 years ago when living out west. About the only thing I need to worry about is finding more work to offset the increased cost of garaging it here in "break-in-and-take-a-look" urban NYC. :-( But its well worth it -- I'm happy as a clam.

Adios for now, --Jonah [Finally an] '87 Syncro Westie