Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Nov 1995 11:46:48 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      Re: help!

Thanks to everyone who replied! I *may* have found the problem... I hope. I would have liked to thank you all individually, but I'm on a foreign server and also need to resume the return trip within the hour.

It may just have been the CHT sensor. A plastic sleeve protects the connection to the harness, so I couldn't really see whether the connection was good. However, when pushing the two ends together, there was reasonable friction/resistance, which lead me to believe that the connection was made. Apparently, this was only the frction of the connectors' ends with the sleeve. Another reason why this was so elusive, is that I coudln't believe that the non-functionality of a non-essential component such as the CHT sensor could really paralyse the whole damn thing; I assumed that a default "limp" mode would have kicked in under this circumstance.

There was another problem, too. While wiggling the wires, I accidentally disconnected the vacuum assist to the brakes. Luckily I remembered a post quite some time ago on this very problem, for otherwise I would never have guessed this. (The diconnection was in FRONT of the firewall and could not be seen from the engine compartment.)

Thanks again for all the help. I'll be back in a couple of days (fingers crossed).

-- Sami ('75 Westf.) dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu http://wuecon.wustl.edu/~samid/