Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Nov 95 12:21:51 -0500
From:         Mike Mott <mottware@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      65 UnEarthing - Bruno Lives! (sort of) - change stats - specs

-- [ From: Mike Mott * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Yesterday Bruno, the 65 Campmobile, was pulled from the driveway where it had sat for 8 years (thanks to Doug and Mike for their help). A flatbed was called and it was delivered to my driveway. :)

Upon arrival an effort was made to remove leaves and dirt from around Bruno. This stopped as soon as we pried the engine compartment door off. The view was not pretty: rear engine seal metal rusted out, battery hanging by its wires, bumper mounts gone, bumper rusted beyond repair and the muffler was being used as a rodents home. This portion of Bruno was closest to the slope of the driveway and had been buried in dirt and leaves. Any attempt to get the wheels spinning was abandoned and we decided to yank him out.

Rust

Getting Bruno up the incline was accomplished using a 95 Trooper 4WD with nylon tow ropes wrapped around the big nuts on each rear wheel. All 4 tires were flat but the leaves and dirt provided a slippery enough surface for the Trooper to pull him up and out to street level (burning clutch permeated the air).

Rust

We then inflated the tires and the 2 front tires held air but the rear tires had major leaks around the seal. Using a compressor and air tools borrowed from my cousin, we then tried to remove the rear wheel lug nuts but quickly found that it would take more time and tools than what we had available.

Rust

So Doug and Mike left, I called the towing company and they dragged him out into the street and onto the flatbed. At this point the front wheels were turning with a terrible grinding sound but the rear would not budge.

Rust

Back home he was anchored to my 68 Westy and the flatbed poured him onto my driveway.

Rust

Since there were two vehicles blocked by Bruno, I had to get his wheels off the rear and put my 68 spare and his spare on the rear drums to get some height under the chassis for floor jacks. Sounds easy, right? I Wish! Had the compressor, and a hammer working overtime to loosen the rusted lug nuts. Wound up drilling out one lug nut and destroying one wheel in the process. Oh well, so it goes. After I got four tires on with air I then used a floor jack to move Bruno around, using a crossbeam just forward of the engine, and tucked it off to the side.

Rust

There is so much wrong with Bruno I feel overwhelmed. I think I'll start removing the interior first to get a better idea about the extent of the rust, did i mention the rust. :) Then the engine...... Then...

Joel - If your reading this please add one 1965 Campmobile to the stats, not running, but will be someday - Thanks

Stats, Misc info.....

Purchased from:

Dragan-Sidras Motors, Inc. 25600 Lorain Road North Olmstead, Ohio (now another name VW dealership)

Dealer inspection date: 11/9/64

Purchase date: 11/27/1964

Type: 21129 Campmobile

Chassis #: 215042091

Mileage is currently 126,000

Has: Gas Heater, Propane stove (i think propane), cooler/fridge, little poptop, aux battery, all cabinets, curtain rods, awning too.

All glass is intact except for both split windows - they have cracks in them ..

Thats enough for now.....gotta get to work - my wife wants it moved asap.

Mike Mott

68 Westy - Beethoven 65 Campmobile - Bruno