Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:11:50 -0500
From:         Bob <zaphod@ameritel.net>
Subject:      Re: '79 Bus emissions controller

At 07:55 PM 11/16/95 -0600, you wrote: >I purchased a '79 Bus a while back at a bargain rate -- $200 -- because the >dealer said the emissions control computer (the "black box" near the engine) >was kaput. I figured this was a steal of a deal -- but I've had the dang bus >at my local mechanic now for nearly EIGHT WEEKS. . .this is getting very >annoying. I've heard a "new" computer can cost over $600, and the mechanic >is searching local junkyards to find a used one cheap. This is probably >what's taking so long.

Yeah sure, he's telling you that he's scouring junkyards but in reality you can do the same thing with the yellow pages, a phone, and about 10 minutes of your time.

Anyway, are you sure the computer's toast? From what I hear and read (Bentley) those things are the least likely component of the FI system to fail. If the computer IS toast you could try to rebuild it yourself (or take it to an electronically inclined friend). I have a catalog from Parts Place, Inc. in MI and they list (doesn't mean they have) FI computers for $100. I've got an even-better bargain '79 bus, I paid $150, so I invested $30 in the Bentley manual and the bus almost runs decent now. The PO was an idiot and randomly replaced FI parts trying to make it run better. He bought a new computer, 2 air flow meters (both bad, BTW), air injector valve, 3 distributor caps/rotors/points, new double relay, and probably more junk that I didn't get with the bus. And for what? Not much, it didn't run when I got it. My bus is a Cali model with the CAT/EGR/OXS and he bought a computer for a non-Cali 77 bus...duh!

The Bentley manual says to make sure you've eliminated all mechanical problems before touching the FI system. My FI system looks fine and all of the sensors pass inspection but the bus still runs like poop. After looking at the distributor it seems the cap/rotor aren't correct. Hell, they might not even be for a bus! Once I get my distributor kit I'll know more.

Ok, the moral of the story is: buy the Bentley manual and a good Volt/Ohm meter. Preferably one with a digital display. Go through the FI system piece by piece and replace anything out-of-spec. Don't pay some guy $40-50/hr to replace things hit or miss. You'll spend a ton of $$$ and the guy will probably miss...

Good luck and happy trouble shooting!

Bob. __\/__ . / ^ _ \ . |\| (*)(*) |/| ________.OOOo____oo____oOOO.__________ / Bob Johnson - Programmer \ | rjohnson@zeus.nesea2400.navy.mil | | Tracor ESD -- California, MD | | zaphod@atc.ameritel.net | \___________________Oooo.______________/ .oooO ( ) ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)