Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:01:42 -0500
From:         "Morris H. Arthur" <marthur@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      Re: #1 firing position on 009? (2.0 l FI)

The power curve for a 009 is usually described as more "performance oriented": perhaps slightly earlier advance for better acceleration at the expense of slight (theroretical?) engine degredation. I doubt most of us would notice it....

Also, I was not referring to firing order, but rather firing *position* on the distributor cap.

Specifically, is the scratch on your distributor (that is supposed to mark #1 firing position) a few degrees *clockwise* or *counter-clockwise* of the notch that has to line up with the distributor cap ???

Also, adjusting valves is very important if you change the firing position such that #3 fires at the point where you had adjusted #1... And BTW, our FI computers don't play with spark advance, but I'm considering installing a CDI module to do just that...

Hey WAIT A MINUTE ! If I install one of those CDI modules in my faulty distributor, it won't matter if the little centrifugal weights are advancing the timing correctly! I don't need to replace my distributor...

Boy, am I slow. So, is this a classic case of me talking enough that I solve my own problem? Comments please....

--------------------------------------------------------- Morris Arthur < morris_arthur@unc.edu > Environmental Sciences and Engineering University of North Carolina