Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:15:52 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: #1 firing position on 009? (2.0 l FI)

Morris H. Arthur writes: > > My distributor is advancing way too much on my '77 Camper. A stock > replacement would cost $150-300 (local import parts stores). A Bosch 009 > would cost $55. Bob Hoover and others have told me that the 009 doesn't > produce a nice power curve for Bus applications, but I'm ready to waver > considering the price differential...

I bet the reason for the price differential is that the stock distributor has some additional stuff in it that the fuel injection needs (I think the FI gets a signal from the distributor) and I bet the 009 doesn't have it. Why don't you get one from the junkyard? And are you *sure* it's advancing too much? Sounds veeeery strange that that could happen. And if it is, perhaps you only need replace a spring or something. > > But here's the question: my friend Stefan (from the list) has a 009 in > his '76 (I don't know if it's Bosch): on his distributor, cylinder 1 fires > at a different position relative to my stock distributor!!!

So you might have to rotate the distributor in the case. No problem unless there isn't enough clearance.

> Switch the plug wires???? Sure, but then I'd have to re-adjust all my > valves...

Why?

> And anyway, if #3 fires differently from #1 (as previous posts suggest), > would that mean I'd have to change the distributor shaft 180 degrees to > match the proper camshaft position ?????

No, the previous posts were suggesting that #3 fires a little later than the others, but that doesn't require changing your wires around. And you can't change your distributor shaft 180 degrees - it only goes in one way.

> All this, just to put in a 009 distributor???? Help!! Where does your #1 > fire on your distributor relative to the notch that fits into the > distributor cap ???

All service manuals for your van will tell you what the proper position of your distributor should be. If you don't have one yet, I would consider purchasing (in order of preference) Bentley, Haynes, or Chilton. Good Luck...

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================