Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:29:09 -0500
From:         H2obxr@aol.com
Subject:      Uh-Oh!  Tranny or Shift Linkage?

OK, so about a week ago, it was all of a sudden (literally from one shift to the next) difficult to shift from third gear into fourth, or third into second. All other gears are fine, including downshifting.

Do the easy stuff first, right? cleaned & lubed the linkage box just under the shift lever (it was dry in spots, and the grease that was there was pretty cruddy). Didn't seem to be any excessive play in the linkage from underneath. Put everything back together, and "dry-shifted" (engine off) through all the gears several times. Worked like brand-new; no difficulty at all shifting through all of the gears. Cleaned everything up, put the tools away (whistling happily). Got in the van for the "victory lap" around the neighborhood, and found that, while improved, there's still some reluctance to get from third into fourth (not really _hard_, but it just doesn't feel right).

Crestfallen, I squeezed back under for a look at the linkage where it enters the tranny, and the boot that covers that area is torn, but everything looks clean.

Question - is it possible that the clutch being worn could cause this? There are 92K miles on the original clutch, I've been thinking about replacing it anyway, but it hasn't started slipping or otherwise exhibiting any signs of failing, although I have to let the pedal almost all of the way out before it starts engaging (adjustment is fine).

I appreciate any ideas or help anyone may have.

Cliff '88 Vanagon GL