Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:22:01 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Sliding Door Problem

In a message dated 95-11-17 22:01:30 EST, smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith) writes:

>>I have noticed a problem with the sliding door on my '87 Vanagon Camper. It >>opens while I am driving sometimes (even when locked) and is hard to shut > >Wow, lost anyone yet? Hey where's Mom? There was a recall on my '85 slider >for the very same reason, maybe VW is recycling recall parts now :o Tim >Smith > > My wife's 88 had this problem. It seemed to bother her alot. I don't know why, we could have more kids. I SOLVED THE PROBLEM by replacing the latch at the rear of the door. I couldn't detect anything wrong with the old latch, but replacing it solved the problem 100%.

Helpful suggestion: This can be done without removing the whole door panel. You'll need to detach the locking rod from the handle at the front of the door. Then attach something to it like a straightened coathanger. Next, remove the latch mechanism. To disconnect this end of the rod, you'll need to pull it away from the door and the coathanger at the front end will keep you from losing it in the door. Replace the latch. Pull the rod back to the front with the coathanger and re-attach it to the front handle mechanism.

Good Luck, Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg