Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:22:51 -0600
From:         daukes@mmts.eds.com (dean c aukes)
Subject:      Back on the road with Opie

Opie ('68 crew cab) & I are back on the road. We still haven't settled with the insurance company but it was time to get on with life.

I rebuilt all brake cylinders and replaced the shoes last week. When I saw the other car in the parking lot backing towards me I nailed the brakes and horn. Everything worked, but afterwards, in the tire bay, I noticed brake fluid leaking from the right rear wheel. When I got ready to go and checked the reservoir it was still ok. I cautiously drove back to work, but found that every time I applied the brakes, I was pumping fluid out the rear cylinder. I stopped and filled the reservoir twice to get back to work and finally home.

What I discovered was that in hitting the brakes hard, the seal on one of the right rear pistons split and the fluid was being pumped out past the dust seal. I guess I can assume the master cylinder is in good shape.

Now with new shoes and rebuilt cylinders the brakes are better than ever. I can, however, fully agree with the post that we gradually get used to less than new braking over time. I plan on adding brake adjustment to my scheduled maintenance, kinda like 3 months or 3000 miles. I mean, I'm under there all dirty anyway from doing the valves.......

Dean & Opie

BTW - the BIG socket set from Harbor Freight worked great. That 46mm nut was not a problem. Thanks to Bradley for the sale price - he saved me $6 plus shipping.