Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:17:06 +0100 (MET)
From:         darie@hasler.ascom.ch (Darie Duclos)
Subject:      SUMMARY: pilot bearing

This letter is long overdue and I'd better write it before I forget what went on.

SYMPTOMS: Difficulty getting into 2nd gear, then 1st, then 3rd and 4th. Almost impossible (for me who has no practice) to get into any gear in the end. Had to start the car in 1st to get going at all and skip straight to 3rd in order to get home. The whole thing went from nothing wrong to not being able to shift within 3-4 hours, but note that this is in the Swiss mountainous terrain. Clutch had prefectly good resistence so we assumed the hydraulic system was ok Trying to shift into reverse while standing still and after giving a little gas caused a grinding noise. i.e. should be the clutch and not the synchronizers. Reverse is not synchronized so had it worked fine, synchronizers would have been suspicious. The clutch lever moved nicely up and down while someone pressed the clutch pedal, so attachments to the hydraulic system seemed in order. Had to be .. inside.. (shudder).

DIAGNOSIS:Given all of the above symptoms, Vanagon experts from the list correctly diagnosed the problem as a broken (mangled up) pilot bearing. Judging from the number of Vanagon owners on this list who've had to make the repair, this is a common problem.

DESCR: The pilot bearing is a small "tube" about 5/8" (1.5cm) long and 1/2" in diameter. Your pinky fits in it snug. Inside the "tube" are tiny metal "sticks" lined up next to each other around the inside perimeter. The flywheel has a hole in its center about the size and length of your index finger (approx. ok?) The pilot bearing is inserted into this hole *very* snuggly but not far in. The hardest part of the repair is usually to get the old one out.

REPAIR: It was not necessary to take out the engine to do this repair, but since my suspension is low in the back, I prefered to jack up the van a bit to be able to move during all that time I spent underneath it. I didn't put it up too high since I'd have a longer way to go when lowering the transmission. I put (European) cinder blocks underneath the engine. (Throughout the process of removing the tranny, the height of the blocks had to be adjusted several times. If they are too low, the engine never reaches them; if they are too high, i.e. too close up to the engine, then the tranny can't come down enough to clear the metal plate in front of it as you try to pull it forward off the engine- tranny mounting bolts. My book says that there should be 12cm, 4 3/4", between the engine and the blocks, but I didn't measure what we ended up leaving.)

CV joint removal As strongly recommended by Tim, we tried to remove all 12 bolts holding the CV joints to the tranny. Apparently, these bolts are usually 12-point (this means a star with 12 points, I thought it was a size or something) 8mm. Apparently, not a lot of companies make a ratchet piece of this type, and one company which makes a very good one is Hazett. Tim stronly recommends getting this tool if your bolts are of this type. My bolts are 6mm hex. All but 2 came out. Luckily the 2 are on the same side so that we could completely detach at least one CV joint from the tranny. I tied the CV joint up and out of my face.

Dropping the transmission I happened to find a small hydraulic jack on sale at a local hardware store and it was very useful. Tim says you can use a trolley or skateboard, a scissor type jack and some wood blocks. We put the jack underneath the tranny and lifted just enough to take up the weight. I removed the transmission ground strap (twisted metal cable up at the front of the tranny, bolted to the tranny and the car body), the starter cables, the gear shift connectors (2 bolts holding the gear shaft, a long rod running down the length of the car in the middle) and disconnected the accelerator cable in back above the engine as it looked like it was running through something that was attached to the tranny. I removed the nut off the big bolt that sticks through a rubber thing and hold the front of the transmission up. I removed the 2 bolts holding the top of the transmission and engine together (one also goes through the starter) and the nuts on the 2 bolts at the bottom. I went back underneath to remove the bolt holding up the front of the tranny up. We lowered the transmission with the jack until the engine was resting on the cinder blocks under it. Then we wiggled the transmission off the remaining bottom mounting bolts, lowering a little and wiggling back a little, and so on. Look out for big rubber pipes above the transmission getting hooked on it and making you life more difficult. Finding the center of gravity of the tranny is not easy and we had to hook the front back up and move the jack several times to get it right so that we wouldn't risk damaging the input shaft when the tranny finally came off.

Changing clutch parts We could not roll the transmission clear out of the way since we still had a CV joint hooked up to it, but we managed to shove it to one side enough to be able to reach into the clutch area. We took the clutch plate off the flywheel (damn that things is heavy when you're jammed between the tire the engine and the transmission!), threw away the old clutch disk. Sticking my little finger into the flywheel I could clean out all sort of little spaghetti-like metal bits coming from the pilot bearing. We were relieved to see that the diagnosis about the pilot bearing sounded right.

Removing the pilot bearing case We tried and tried to pull the pilot bearing out. We built a puller as suggested by filing down 2 sides of a washer and putting it on a bolt, toggling it into the pilot bearing and standing it back up in back of the bearing, then passing the end of the bolt that was still sticking out through a metal bar and adding a washer and a nut. We thought that tightening the nut would eventually pull out the pilot bearing. It didn't. We bent the first 2 washers. The 3rd one was thicker and bigger. On this attempt, we stripped the nut we were turning. Finally, we decided to remove the flywheel. We had had conflicting reports as to whether this was necessary, but in my opinion it was. The bearing could not get by a lip in the hole of the flywheel. Then my husband went to a local garage and borrowed a puller! Wish we'd thought of this earlier.. The puller looked like it was going to break, but it managed to get the pilot bearing out without breaking.

Reassembling it all After carefully tapping in the new pilot bearing by setting a socket piece the same size on it and tapping with a rubber hammer, we filled it packed with high-temperature grease. We put the flywheel back on, put the new clutch disk in and held it centered with a borrowed clutch-centering tool while we put the clutch plate back in place. We took the opportunity to change the throw-out bearing too. It's a round thing about the size of a hockey puck that attaches onto the input shaft. It's on the transmission side when you pull it away. Getting the transmission back on wasn't totally easy. I had to lie on my back under the car with my head towards the front of the car and my feet against the front end of the transmission doing the rumba while my husband directed the back end of the tranny onto the mounting bolts.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I have to thank in particular Tim Smith who gave such excellent descriptions of all procedures, tools, and useful things to do at the same time. Thanks also to Bradley, Jim Bryant, Joel Walker, Harvey Chao, John Foster, Kelley, Gerald and David Schwarze for all sorts of great tips.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ / Darie Duclos, '86 Westy / "All my life I've wanted to be \ \ Unix Systems Infrastructure \ somebody. It's only now I see / / Ascom Hasler AG / I should have been more \ \ Bern, Switzerland \ specific." / / Darie@hasler.ascom.ch / -- Lily Tomlin \ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/