Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 23:39:10 -0500
From:         Bob <zaphod@ameritel.net>
Subject:      Er:  Test walk and stuff...

Well, in my original post I went for a test drive and returned with a smokin' hot driver's side front wheel. I pondered bearing replacement or brake caliper replacement. I yanked the wheel off and whacked the caliper with a hammer. Aaaaahhhh. Put the wheel back on, give 'er a good spin and...wow, that's pretty smooth...no noise. Guess it's not the bearings. I think after sitting for half a decade the caliper just decided to stick where it was.

I spent about 40 minutes coaxing the brake pads out and now I'm wondering what to do with the caliper. After applying the brakes a few times I finally got both pistons to move but now they won't go back in. So, since I'm a professional VW mechanic (well, maybe not, but I own some metric stuff) I went to Wally Mart and bought a C-clamp. I figured I could push the pistons back in with that and then hit the brake pedal, get the pistons stuck again, and use the C-clamp to push them back in, ad infinitum. Anyone got a better idea? Am I going to need a new brake caliper after I do this? Good think it's too dark (and cold) outside to try this now. Maybe tomorrow night. Please stop me if this'll kill something...

Bob.

'79 Bust '67 Rusty

__\/__ . / ^ _ \ . |\| (*)(*) |/| ________.OOOo____oo____oOOO.__________ / Bob Johnson - Programmer \ | rjohnson@zeus.nesea2400.navy.mil | | Tracor ESD -- California, MD | | zaphod@atc.ameritel.net | \___________________Oooo.______________/ .oooO ( ) ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)