Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:25:00 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      Re: help! (Home, sweet home!)

Lucid listmember Dave Kautz wrote:

> You can't fool me! I KNOW why you are in New Jersey, so does your bus! That > dear, dear 1800 senses the presence of that 2.2 liter six. You can't expect > it to cooperate.

<ahem!> Guilty as charged! :) :) :)

The bus's psychology is indeed fragile. It attempted to punish me one more time with the same symptoms: bucking and lurching. This time in the snow-covered West Virginia Mountains, after dark, at below-freezing temperatures. I was ready to sell the bastard--or push it off a cliff. Cursed and reminded it of its Nazi heritage. The CHT sensor was positively connected to the harness, so that couldn't have been the problem--and then it hit me: while putting the engine back together a week earlier, I had forgotten to wrench-tighten the sensor to the head. Bon Dieu! Fetched the 13mm combo and completed the rebuild. That was it, the rest of the trip, though long, was uneventful. The engine is smooth and powerful; runs cool, too. Head temperature was a steady 350 F, 100 F less than before the rebuild. Drove 70-75 mph with umpff to spare. As if the 1800 tried to tell me "I'm still worthy, I'm good, and please don't drop me for the Porsche 6." My friend Ben, who came along for the trip, suggested that it would be *great* in a go-cart. :O :O

-- Sami ('75 Westf.) dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu http://wuecon.wustl.edu/~samid/