Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Nov 95 18:32:08 0800
From:         Steve Hoge <steveh@emu.com>
Subject:      Throttle Switch Thrombosis

Isn't fuel injection FUN?

OK, the latest on my Digifant-equipped '89 Syncro is that I'm getting an incredible surge/lag effect as I accelerate/decelerate. Touching the gas causes it to accelerate (smoothly, and with good power), and letting my foot off causes it to instantly and dramatically decelerate. When cruising at speed on the freeway, where the car should be subtely balanced between the two, say around 3000rpm, it can get into a violent oscillation and shuddering effect - very scary.

I don't think it's related to the bad gas I got a couple of weeks ago (see the Techron posts), but it *did* start to happen pretty soon (but not immediately...) after I cleaned the Panamint dust out of my engine compartment with the hose (I took the precaution, suggested by a correspondent, of unplugging the distributor and covering it with a plastic bag, but otherwise pretty much sprayed all around.)

According to my reading of Bentley, this surge/lag is the same affect that I should see if the throttle switch gap is too big (ie, > .01mm). However, I can't see how moisture in the engine compartment could have affected this clearance. Unplugging, cleaning and reseating the connector between the throttle valve switch and the ECU (done at midnight under a streetlamp...) *seemed* to help for awhile, but the effect eventually returned.

Is it possible that I've toasted my throttle valve switch? Water in there somewhere making intermittent contact? How expensive are these parts? Of course, Bentley makes disassembly look easy but in reality it's wedged beneath manifolds, my (non-functioning) cruise control stuff, etc.:-P Also, I believe I'd have to do a idle recalibration after reassembly, no?

A larger question: is there any "Idiot's Guide to Bosch Fuel Injection Systems" out there that I could read to get better theory of operation on my FI system? I've perused our FAQs and there're lots of good details on FI but I didn't exactly come up with a global overview of the system. Anything short of enrolling in a German technical institute to get a better understanding of this stuff?

Steve Hoge '77 AutoLoaf (Da Rust Bucket) '89 Syncro GL (Da Shudder Bucket)