Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Nov 1995 22:14:11 -0800 (PST)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Investigating New Busses

I spent the better part of the day hanging around this guy named Joel who is looking for a bus.

We first looked at a '66 deluxe, for $4500. It looked good from about 20 paces, but as you got closer, you could seen the crappy "resale red" paint job, the numerous dents, scratches, etc. For the white, ont top, its like they painted _at_ the bus, leaving large areas where there was only nominal coverage.

The tranny was cantankerous, the brakes pulled, the steering was of its own mind, trying to find the sould of Jerry Garcia.

The kicker: The fresh air tubes were gone. I asked the guy who was fronting the bus, who was the owners dad, how long they'd been that way, and he said he'd seen them in the garage a few months ago when sonny put the new exhaust on. Oye! I guess he's made a few trips to the bay area and back with it like this!

We left him an offer of $3k (more than generous) and he told us he had an offer of $4200. Yeah, right!

I let him drive my bus, to see what one is s'posed to feel like: tight steering, good brakes, no pulling, good power...

The next one we looked at was another '66 deluxe, this one much worse than the first. It pulled into the meeting place blowing smoke everywhere, from a new exhaust, it turns out. This one was rough. It was lowered with a bus boys kit, the lower front portions of the doglegs were hashed, and it had abuse written all over it. I pointed out to the owner that he was missing his fresh air hoses (like the first guy) and he says "so?" Oye! Stooooopid people in this town! They wanted $1500 for that abortion, and came down to $1200 without us even asking. The tranny was even worse in this one, it had a hard time going into first OR second unless you were stopped, and made lots of expensive growling noises.

All in all a disappointing day, although I now have a lead on a barndoor steering wheen that I want badly for my bus...

I also got to see more pix of that barndoor bus that's in Flooorida. Oye! again! Rustbucket bonzai! I don't see how they can ask $1500 with a straight face! Wheel wells cut out, floors gone, sides all bashed up...

Tommorrow I go look at some busses in the hills - one with semaphores!

Thom -- > Someday, everyone who has seen this .sig will be dead. Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com - ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/home.html '56 VW Sunroof Kombi FS: '72 Porsche 911T Targa - ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/porsche.html Check out my new improved web pages, and my new Barndoor Page! ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/barndoor.html