Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 1995 16:14:20 -0800 (PST)
From:         Gregor Durstewitz <GDURSTEW@oimb.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      thanxgiving cattle drive...

Dear list, Just got back from a 1500 mile trip through the mountains of southeastern Oregon. Figured I'd let the turkey live and take the bus ("Festus", 73 westy) out into the country instead. It was the first big trip after I put in the 1800cc engine and the Alpine stereo, so I didn't really know how it would turn out. Turned out great: No mechanical problems except a flat tire while offroading. Even gas mileage is better than with the old 1700, about 20mpg. I started in Coos Bay on the southern Oregon coast on wednesday nite, had a few beers with friends in Eugene, then headed seriously east. Crossed the Cascades in the nite, then popped my top near "Crack-in-the-ground" in eastern Oregon. Gotta love that pine\sage smell ! Clear skies. No rain. Incredible if you live on the coast...Next day drove along the Owyhee Canyon, mainly to scout for possible future whitewater trip. Then headed for Steens Mtns., a volcanic fault block that rises over a mile from the surrounding countryside. Almost vertical towards the east, gradually towards the west, which is really nice 'cause you can drive rite up there ! Steens summit is the highest point you can drive to in Oregon (9730 ft). No snow yet ! On my way down I saw my first ever cattle drive! About 200 head of cattle, 6 cowboys with all the trimmings plus half a dozen dogs...I was waving at them and they were flashing me a peace sign ! it was WAY cool...later I soaked about an hour in one of the countless hotsprings in the area...You know, that area is so nice, we should have a bus-bash there sometime, burn a few engine parts...eat prunes... ciao, gregor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gregor Durstewitz ============= Oregon Institute of Marine Biology /_| |__||__| :| toff University of Oregon 0| Festus | toff Charleston, OR 97420 '-()-------()-'